Today was our US consulate appointment, where our government looks over all our paperwork to be sure things are in order, and as they should be. All is well, so they will release Braden's Visa to travel to America. We get that on Friday, right before we leave for the airport. Tomorrow is our swearing in. I recall this particular day last time, with Nicole and Eva, and how we had so looked forward to it. I had anticipated great pomp and ceremony as this took place, but I must be honest and say it was a major buzzkill. Instead it was an overcrowded, hot and stuffy room of Americans and our new Chinese children. Altogether, after al ong wait, we all raised our hands to swear that what we said was true, was in fact true. Someone fainted - not me - it was just too crowded and too hot and we were on our feet an hour, mostly overdressed. I am hoping for a different experience tomorrow, but I will let you know. (sorry to those reading who are yet to go to China...didn't mean to ruin any hopes for the pomp...maybe it will be that now)
After we got word that all was good and we got our "Red Book" back and put into our room safe, we headed out to the White Swan to walk around the "old neighborhood", where we spent a lot of time 5 years ago. Though last time it was like 50degrees, being March. Today's heat index was 107F. ACK!
![]() |
| White Swan lobby, same spot we had pic with girls |
So much has changed but not really. As I said the other day, there are many shops that cater to the adoptive family, with clothing and souveniers. Many have closed and most who have remained have new locations, either down or across the street from where they were. There is a major beautification project going on, where the building facades are all being renovated and updated. I dont know if this is something that would happen anyhow, or because Guangzhou is hosting the 2010 Asia Games in November.
I so love the park area near the White Swan. It is lovely with so many Banyan trees, flowers and especially the bronze statues. There are some new since we were here last. There is typically excercise going on, Tai Chi, some badminton, school children walking, and many American families interacting. Oh, since last time a new Starbucks has opened. I think it is great, yet not. I love the teahouse down the road, and I am sure they are suffering a bit since. Then again, we spent a fortune by accident last time, and we still have some of the loose tea leaves we bought. But it is a special place.
Right outside of it we stopped to take a picture of this cool Banyan tree, and looked up to see about 100 dragonflys flitting around. It was an awesome sight. and, but definition - a lucky sight! Unfortunately the photo didn't turn out, but close your eyes and imagine it...I have never seen so many in one place. So appropriate, too.
| roots of a very old Banyan tree |
We visited Jordans, a great store ran by Jordan and his sister. We spent a great deal of time (and money) here last time. He offers to print one's childs name in Chinese letters with their meaning. Braden's stands for wave, glory and quick.(and yes he is)
We had an amazing lunch at the Thai restaurant, Thai Zhen, Cow and Bridge. YUM. My little noodle boy, Shu, ate quite a bit and had happy feet, while chomping away. He was swaying to the really bad music that was playing, and it made us laugh...since Nicole and Eva often do the same. Oh who am I kidding, food makes all of us in the Der house do a happy dance. My absolute perfect moment today - Braden kissed me. He has been blowing kisses, but this was a grab of my hand and a REAL kiss, and he said MAMA. Yes, I had a little cry. Sitting there with noodles in my chopsticks, feeding my new son, my loving husband across from me, I had a moment of absolute joy, and I was overwhelmed.
Then Shu tried to eat my new necklace Ken had just bought me as an early Anniversary gift.
Shu was a happy camper today, which was quite a change from yesterday, thank goodness. Even when I was trying to give him a spikey new coif in the cab. His poor little head was so hot and sticky with sweat, his little patch of hair spiked nicely.
We came back to the room and just played, tickled, chased. He loves to roll around on the bed and was laughing so much he was gurgling and had a hard time catghing his breath.
Since it will be a cool 104F tomorrow, we will venture out, finally to one and hopefully two the Temples we keep mentioning. Swearing in ceremony is at 3:30.
Wishing you all a lucky day...sharing in my dragonflies aura.

How incredibly appropriate that your official swearing in is falling on the Jewish New Year-
ReplyDeleteThe Jewish New Year (5771), is a joyous time-and so it is for the Ders!
The start of a new, sweet year filled with health and happiness-that is my wish for you as well as for anyone who observes-L'Shanah Tova!
Keep sharing-
Sara
Most excellent news from the Far Eastern Der House of Chaos. At least Ken didn't eat the nasty "tater tot" this time and fall ill himself. :) We've been without computer access for a few days (damn Comcast). Glad you made it to the White Swan for photos.
ReplyDeleteWe love you and can't wait to see you in October. It has been great reliving the adventure with you.
G G M and A