We are taking a rest at the moment, after a pretty cool day.
Shu is playing ball with daddy now, except for when he comes to me and puts his hands up and whines, to be picked up. Yes I do love this. I have waited for this for a very long time, and it means we are already bonding. Ken laughs at me and my delight. When we were coming to get the girls, I remember commenting to him that I feared they'd not know I was mommy. That lasted 2 days. Even to this day when I hear the "Mommy, mommy, Mommy, mommy" from both of them simulateously until my head spins, Ken laughs and says "remember when you didnt think they'd know mommy".
At the moment, he is feeding Shu part of a brownie cliff bar so they are entirely inseparable.
Braden (not sure at what point to call him this instead of Shu. My comment on how he is responding to Shu was premature since during last night's ball, book and block throwing escapades he didnt respond to Shu, ShuShu, ShuB, Braden or Hey Kid) anyhow, he slept throught the night again, for which we are quite thankful. Ken and I however, have woken up a 3am the last two nights.
We were laying in bed laughing at how he will get along with his sisters. Eva will show him how to build with blocks, how to make funny faces. Nicole will teach him how to dance and climb and will mother him. After packing the diaper bag for our day, trying to read a bit, and talking more about what the rest of our week will hold, we finally got back to sleep around 5. We decided (and by we, I mean Ken with Emily's encouragement) that we need not go to the ginormous Buddha that took 90 years to build and who's little toe we'd come up to. Apparenlty it is a 2 hour drive to get there and then a boat ride, and 2 hours back. Okay, I get it, but I think I only agreed since it was 4am. I have to admit I secretly wanted Shu to wake up so I could hold him. He fell asleep in my arms before bed and I love holding him - I marvel at his little face, and I can now memorize it in person. He does this suckling noise while he sleeps, and lays in an emperor poisition. His eye lashes flutter too and I hope he is having sweet dreams. I know I dreamt of him so many nights, and finally meeting him really does out do what I had dreamed.
There are all these moments that I just look at him and it hits me - how blessed we are. How lucky we are that we found each other just like we were supposed to. I don't really care that I sound so corny, since I feel it more than I can say. I thank the heavens and the fates.
As we saw the spot he was left, I sent a silent prayer for and thank you to his birth family, who loved him enough to let him go. The note pinned to him said that they couldn't take care of him and hoped he could be raised by a loving family. I can't imagine the pain and selflessness of that decision. He was left on the sidewalk on a bridge on the East part of the city, near an amusement park. I would guess that they knew it was a busy area and he'd be found quickly. Here is a pic of the spot. I think it is important to be able to tell him we saw it, should he ask some day.
Before that we went to the Panda Preserve. I am still pouting that I didnt get to hold one. :-(
But we did get to see newborns, which was so incredible. You cannot take pictures of them, but we got to walk by the incubators to see twins that were 2 weeks old and the size of my foot. and one that was 1 month old that was 3 times that size. They were truly amazing. We saw toddler pandas and teenagers as well. Just chilling with the homeys:
The place was beautiful and very well kept. You can tell there is much pride and professionalism in the care of the place and the pandas. We feel fortunate that we were able to visit what is a treasured spot for the Chinese. Shu's favorite to see were the red pandas. I dont know what it was, but he was kicking happily and shouting something like "Oh" over and over again. I watched a little Chinese lady laugh and take his picture. I saw alot of Chinese ladies laughing and pointing. I later heard from Emily it was becasue they said I was carrying him wrong, since I had him facing out. I just wanted him to be able to see all the fun stuff. He is excited by all the sights, and it is apparent he loves to be outside, and moving.
Emily has to finish our paperwork on our behalf tomorrow, so we have another free day, and have a few ideas in mind. We need to go shop for Shu since all the 18month stuff I brought just hangs on him...and he needs shoes. We have to try traditional Sichuan hot pot, too. There is a silk brocade factory that is calling to me since my Buddha was silenced.
More later.
Love to you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment